If you are travelling by plane from and within Canada, you are required to bring your own face covering. In light of the evolving situation with COVID-19, all passengers and non-passengers must wear a face covering and place it over their mouth and nose before entering the screening checkpoint. As of July 30, if you are travelling from Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto-Pearson or Montreal airports, you must undergo mandatory temperature screening before entering security screening. Here’s some other changes we’ve made at the checkpoint.
Who We Are
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority is a Crown corporation responsible for securing specific elements of the air transportation system – from passenger and baggage screening to screening airport workers.
Established on April 1, 2002, CATSA is fully funded by parliamentary appropriations and is accountable to Parliament through the Minister of Transport.
What We Do
CATSA is mandated with protecting the public through effective and efficient screening of air travellers and their baggage. Our goal is to provide a professional, effective and consistent level of security service across the country, at or above the standards set by Transport Canada.
CATSA was the centerpiece of the Government of Canada’s response to the events of September 11, 2001 and part of a comprehensive $2.2 billion package of aviation security initiatives in the December 2001 budget.
Established on April 1, 2002, CATSA’s responsibilities fall into four major areas:
- Pre-board screening of passengers and their belongings;
- Hold baggage screening through explosives detection systems at airports;
- Non-passenger screening of those entering restricted airport areas;
- Restricted area identity card (RAIC) implementation and management
CATSA’s mission is to protect the public by securing critical elements of the air transportation system as assigned by the Government of Canada.
CATSA’s vision is to excel in air transport security.
We will achieve our vision through:
- Our service: We provide the best possible passenger experience and deliver value to Canadians with an optimal use of our resources;
- Our people: We are engaged, committed and succeed through teamwork;
- Our partnerships: We work in collaboration with partners to generate mutual benefits and improvements.