If you are travelling by plane from and within Canada, you are required to bring your own face covering. In light of the evolving situation with COVID-19, all passengers and non-passengers must wear a face covering and place it over their mouth and nose before entering the screening checkpoint. Take note: As of September 23, in addition to temperature screening occurring at Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal airports, 11 more have been added to the list. If you are also travelling from St. John’s, Halifax, Québec City, Ottawa, Toronto-Billy Bishop, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Kelowna or Victoria. Here’s some other changes we’ve made at the checkpoint.
Duty-free Purchases as Carry-on Baggage
Since January 31, 2014, the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority accepts, subject to screening, duty-free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased from any airline or airport retailer that are properly sealed in official security bags and accompanied by an itemized receipt.
These do not count as part of your carry-on allowance.
Screening officers may open your security bag to screen its contents, then re-seal it after inspection.
You may be asked to surrender your duty-free purchases if:
- either the bag or the product within does not pass required security screening;
- the retailer did not use an official security bag;
- the clerk improperly packaged your purchases at the point of sale or did not include an itemized receipt;
- you opened the bag yourself after making the purchase and before screening; or
- more than 48 hours have passed since you made the purchase (official security bags are only valid for two calendar days).
Connecting international flights or multiple airport transfers
Please note that duty-free liquids, aerosols and gels may be intercepted if you pass through pre-board screening at a connecting airport in another country or at multiple airports over a two-day period.
If your duty-free purchases do not clear security, you can:
- surrender them to the screening officer;
- transfer them to your checked baggage, if possible and time permits;
- ship them via mail, cargo or courier. Please keep in mind that shipping options vary at airports.
These are sealed clear plastic bags with special security features that hold goods purchased from airline or airport retailers after security screening. They are designed to make it easier for you to carry liquids, aerosols and gels through screening.
Official security bags are used in several—but not all—countries around the world. Wherever you travel, check first to make sure your bag has the security features shown in the image here – typically a checkmark and arrow in a circle as well as a red border - when you make your purchase. If it doesn’t, it will be rejected.